Building a computer network intended to make computers can communicate with each other and share computer resources.
Basically a computer network consisting of 3 classification:
1. Local Area Network (LAN)
A computer network that is connected at a limited distance. Currently, the LAN also supports the wireless device (WiFi), which is a computer network transmission media without using cables or WirelessLAN (WLAN).
2. Metropolitan Area Network (MAN)
Working principle of MAN is similar to the LAN, the only difference being its can reach to a wider range, about 10-50 km.
3. Wide Area Network (WAN)
WAN is a computer network concept that has a very wide range, that can connect computers between cities, countries, and almost entire world as the Internet technology which is currently growing more rapidly.
Computer Network Topology
When a computer wants to communicate with other computers via a network, the computer will require the media connections that form a certain topology.
On the concept of conventional LAN, there are three main topologies are commonly used: Bus, Star and Ring. Then topology developed to Tree and Mesh topologies. Currently, wireless topology is a new topology that is popular.
- Low installation cost.
- Damage to a single client computer will not affect the communication between other clients.
- Easy installation.
- If the main cables or backbone were damaged, the entire communications disrupted.
- If the main cable is very long it becomes difficult to search for the cause of disturbance.
- The possibility of data collision will occur when many clients who send a message and this will reduce the communication speed. more…